Being one of the eleven City Pack products announced to be released this year in Orbx’s annual product roadmap, the Cape Town City Pack, once released, will be the first product by Orbx released for the Microsoft Flight Simulator that is set in Africa.
Cape Town is with over 3.5 million people living there the second-most populous city in South Africa after the country’s capital city, Johannesburg. It is also referred to as the “Mother City”, and is framed by the iconic Table Mountain near the southernmost tip of the continent.
The scenery is being developed to the Orbx standards, meaning that custom night lighting based on real-world photography will be present in the scenery as well as custom orthoimagery covering all of the city, or extensive terraforming across the whole coverage area enhancing how landmarks sit within the simulator’s terrain.
It was further said in the announcement post by the Orbx team: “As with our other Landmark City titles, we’ve put a lot of effort into recreating key features and points of interest throughout the city, reflecting its fascinating mix of older and modern architecture.“.
While most of the scenery covers the city of Cape Town, some landmarks outside of the city area will be recreated in the scenery as well. These include, for example, the infamous prison on Robben Island or the campus of the University of Cape Town on the eastern slope of the Table Mountain.
For helicopter pilots, a number of helipads in the city and vessels in the harbour will be recreated in the scenery once released.
The expected release date and pricing details remain unknown to the public.
- Several high-detail custom landmarks including the Cape Town Stadium, Castle of Good Hope, and University of Cape Town
- More than 110 medium-detail custom landmarks, balancing quality and performance.
- Many enhancements to the city and surrounding areas: improved vegetation and building placements, industrial areas and power stations, chimneys, etc.
- Specific focus on the harbour areas, with a with diversity of custom vessels and port infrastructure
- Extensive terraforming across the coverage area, enhancing how our custom landmarks sit within the simulator’s terrain
- Custom orthoimagery covering all of the city from the western bays to Rondebosch in the east
- Custom night lighting based on real-world photography
- Anti-poaching campaign “laser” rhino projected onto Table Mountain at night (selectable with control panel)