A well-known developer on the flight sim scene, Stairport Sceneries, mainly known for their SAM (Scenery Animation Manager) utility plugin, has today released an extension called GlobalTrees. The extension can be either in combination with SAM Seasons or stand-alone. It is an extension, meaning that it requires SAM.
What does it do? Well, it replaces default trees and overall vegetation with a custom one.
The SAM GlobalTrees package is a further development of the FlyAgi Vegetation Global Trees addon already used by a wide range of flight simmers which is included in the SAM Seasons Library package.
The file is 269MB large and can be downloaded from forums.x-plane.org – yes, it is a freeware.
If you’re scared, that you have a slow PC to run this extension, don’t worry, you can, via SAM, edit the forest density. If you want to use the extension, please make sure to have the latest Scenery Animation Manager.
The FAQ can be seen below the screenshots.
- Replaces global forests and trees with high resolution ones including those placed by the urban autogen areas (every single tree gets updated)
- Can be used without the SAM Seasons library installed
- Forest density can be reduced if performance issues arise (configuration is described in the manual)
- Replaces SFD Global forests if you wish so (needs configuration as described in the manual)
- Supports SAM Seasons
- Supports SAM Colors (some colors need configuration to be available as described in the manual)
- Updates SAM Seasons vegetation without redownloading the seasons library
- Comes with a python based configuration tool but also allows manual copy and paste based configuration
- SAM Seasons SDK can be incorporated by scenery designers to match SAM GlobalTrees color appearance (supporting all SAM GlobalTrees color and season styles)