The Saab 340 is a twin-engine, turboprop, regional aircraft which can carry up to 36 passengers. It is mainly used by regional carriers all over the world, mainly by Australian Regional Express operating 52 of them. Carenado has this beautiful aircraft both for X-Plane 11 and Prepar3D, and this review is about the X-Plane 11 version. Before we start, I would like to say huge Thank You to Carenado for making this possible.
In terms of exterior, Carenado did really good job modelling and designing this aircraft. What I personally really like about the exterior design are the reflections, which look very realistic and nice. In comparison with real aircraft, the in-game aircraft looks the same and the physics are also doing quite good.
Ground Services / UI
Carenado included very detailed ground services and UI. Since describing the quality is useless, I will put some screenshots below.
The cockpit itself is very well designed. What I really like is the way how Carenado designed the wear of instruments and panels. If you compare the cockpit of real aircraft you can see some small differences, but they will not ruin your experience. Generally, the cockpit is very well designed and modelled.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a regional aircraft to fly within X-Plane 11, this one is probably the best one. Although the physics is a bit weird, all other aspects of the plane are great, from optimization to modelling, design and of course sounds, which are very good.
If you want to purchase this aircraft, you can do so in the Carenado official store.
- High-end 4k PBR (Physically-based Rendering) graphics throughout, with ultra-realistic materials rendition (Dynamic reflections, realistic metal
anddielectric materials, etc.)
- Fully customized in-depth annunciator logic/aural
warning logic/throttle logic, with friction control, gate, flight idle and flightidle override.
- Custom EHSI and EADI instruments and custom MFD85 with moving map, all featuring detachable pop-up windows
- Integrated FMS with detachable pop-up window (Laminar default)
- Custom APS85 Autopilot with
- Rain effect support*
- Fully customized Custom Torque on Take-Off (CTOT) system
- Fully customized pusher (anti-stall) logic
- In-depth FMOD sound design implementation, including distance effects, realistic prop reversal effects, etc.
Functionalgust lock system
- Custom electrical system/Starter Logic/Fuel System/prop logic/Bleed Air System/Avionics busses/Hydraulic Logic (Requires, among other things, pressurizing brake lines prior to chock removal)/Electrical Temperature system/de-ice logic
- Custom independent windshield wiper logic (with functional off and park positions)
- Airspeed Indicator with “Barber Pole” and functional test sequence
- RealityXP GTN750 support (with 3D panel display support)
- Extensive VR support with snap points in every passenger seat (All knobs, buttons, dials, handles, etc. also optimized for VR usage)
- Extensive HDR lighting with gimballed 3D lights and dynamically illuminated tail logo and ice lights for amazing night lighting effects
- Ground steering (tiller) system
- Includes air conditioning, pressurization, and oxygen system
- Features reversionary logic for EHSI and EADI.
- All passenger seats support seat backs, table trays,
arm rests, HDR reading lights, stewardess call buttons.
- Main door has optional retractable passenger stairs.
- Functional stewardess control panel
- Visible and functional Ground Power Unit
- End-user customizable via Manifest.json file.
- Goodway compatible
- Engine design optimized for XP11.30’s new turboprop model
- Flight dynamics optimized for
latestimprovements in XP11.30.
- Support for “
librain” plugin, including wiper support (Requires separate plugin install) Librainsupport also includes visual ice effects on windows. (Requires Librainplugin)