Welcome to the nineteenth installment of The Workshop – a series dedicated to the latest news and updates regarding FlyByWire’s work on the A32NX and the upcoming A380. Our previous episodes can be read here. The Workshop is written directly by the FlyByWire team within the FSNews and FlyByWire partnership.
Features of the Week
This week, some features have been merged into the latest development version of the aircraft.
- Added AOA and high speed protection with AP disconnections and warnings on the FMA.
- Realistic rudder pedal animation
- Emergency elec manual on
- Improved custom rudder and elevator trim
- First hydraulic system implementation
- Improved speed protection mode for V/S and FPA
- Converted elec page to react
Notes on Hydraulic Implementation
We have reached a major milestone in getting the first “building blocks” of hydraulics modelling into the A32NX. It’s important we stress that this has NO INTENDED impact on the FS2020 physics but provides the layering required to get the hydraulics systems fully modelled and implemented.
Reaching this milestone has provided a myriad of useful baselines that allows for future integration of overhead hydraulics functionality, modelled actuators and brakes, temperature impacts, and logic! There are a lot of parameters that are unknown or an approximation of real behavior for performance reasons, as such a lot of hydraulic performance tuning can and will happen.
Notes on experimental version status
We are still working on getting the new experimental branch up and running. We’d like to remind our community to use the development version for the time being to stay up to date.
As per our previous announcement on Discord and our social media we plan on the new experimental version to include our custom LNAV and flight plan manager based on the work from Working Title Simulations. We’ll announce more details when the experimental version is ready!
Work in Progress
- Realistic system simulations
- Continuous development improving upon the first iteration of custom hydraulics system
- Additional EFB features
- Redesign of global UI with a new sidebar layout and better readability
- Navigraph Charts integration
- More options in the Settings page, allowing tuning of various aircraft parameters
- Takeoff and landing performance calculator
- Avionics rewrite (PFD, ECAM, MCDU and FCU) – for performance improvements and easier code maintenance
Our next episode of The Workshop is scheduled to be published on May 28th, 2021.