Orbx has recently proudly taken to their social network profiles and forums to announce the release of their eleventh scenery in their Landmarks, or City Pack, product range for Microsoft Flight Simulator. Covering the city of Cape Town in South Africa, it is the first product by Orbx released for the new platform being set on the continent of Africa.
Cape Town is, with over 3.5 million citizens, the second-most populous city in South Africa after the country’s capital city, Johannesburg. It is also referred to as the “Mother City”, and is framed by the iconic Table Mountain near the southernmost tip of the continent.
The scenery offers what one would expect from an scenery developed by Orbx, from highly-detailed recreations of major landmarks and buildings in the city, to extensive terraforming across the coverage area.
Additionally, custom night lighting is featured in the scenery based on real-world photography, the vegetation around the scenery has been improved, and custom orthoimagery is present in the scenery covering all of the city from the western bays to Rondebosch in the east.
For helicopter pilots, a number of helipads in the city and vessels in the harbour are recreated in the scenery.
The scenery can be purchased through the Orbx website and Orbx Central for about €8.68 or $13.63 AUD.
- Several high-detail custom landmarks including the Cape Town Stadium, Castle of Good Hope, and University of Cape Town
- More than 110 medium-detail custom landmarks, balancing quality and performance.
- Many enhancements to the city and surrounding areas: improved vegetation and building placements, industrial areas and power stations, chimneys, etc.
- Specific focus on the harbour areas, with a with diversity of custom vessels and port infrastructure
- Extensive terraforming across the coverage area, enhancing how our custom landmarks sit within the simulator’s terrain
- Custom orthoimagery covering all of the city from the western bays to Rondebosch in the east
- Custom night lighting based on real-world photography
- Anti-poaching campaign “laser” rhino projected onto Table Mountain at night (selectable with control panel)